|A Note on Permits: If you have an existing account in the BCD Permit Application system, you may be prompted to re-register your account. YOU MUST USE EITHER CHROME OR FIREFOX. Do not use Internet Explorer.
See the Quick Reference Guide for details.
BCD PERMIT SYSTEM UPDATE NOTIFICATION
The update to the BCD Permit System has been completed. The system is operational with the changes. Please go to FAQ at the left side of this page for a link to BCD Permit System Version 7.2 - 3.0 Release Bulletin for a complete description of these changes.
Before You Begin
- Be sure to use Chrome or FireFox.
- Allow pop-ups from this site before proceeding.
To complete the application, you will need:
- The name of the University's Representative/Project manager of your project.
- Either a University of Minnesota project number or a University of Minnesota work order number.
- The construction valuation (contract value) for the project.
If you do not have this information, please contact your University PM or the contractor on your project.
For information on which projects need a permit, visit our Permit Requirements page.
Permit Application Instructions
Accessing the System
At any time during the application process, you may call for assistance at 612-625-2437.
If you are a first time user, you must register for an account. Click Register for an Account at the upper right corner of the screen and follow the registration instructions.
Login and Complete Your Application
Select Permit Type
Login and begin your application process as follows:
- Click on Applications.
- Accept the General Disclaimer.
- Click on either Building or Trades and select the permit type from the list.
- Click the Continue Application button.
Tab 1 Applicant
- Contact List: You must have an applicant (you). Click on Select from Account, click on Applicant on Type, and click Continue.
- Licensed Professional/Contractor List: On all applications, you must have a University Rep/Project Manager. Some trades will require a master from your organization. Please read the on-screen instructions.
- Attachment: Use for plans or other documents if you wish us to keep with the application – click Continue Application.
Tab 2 ASI
- Enter project number or work order number.
- Enter the Detailed Description of Work.
- If you have only a work order number and do not know the campus number and building number, please call 612-625-2437 for assistance.
- If you have a project number or know your campus and building number, please follow these directions:
- Campus: Add the first two digits of your project number (01 or 02, etc).
- Building: Add next three digits of your project number (001 or 044...).
- Click Search.
- If the address and locator # fields do not populate, call 612-625-2437 for assistance.
The rest of the page is information you will have. When finished click on Continue Application.
Tab 3 Review
This next page asks you to review your application. When done reviewing, go to the bottom of the page and click on Continue Application again.
This page will tell you the application has been received and it will give you a number starting with a letter (B, P, E, U, M, F, D) – 18- then 4 digits. Please use this permit number when communicating with the Building Code Department – please keep it somewhere where you will be able to access it.