A Note on Permits: If you have an existing account in the BCD Permit Application system, you may be prompted to re-register your account. YOU MUST USE EITHER CHROME OR FIREFOX. Do not use Internet Explorer.
See the Quick Reference Guide for details.


The update to the BCD Permit System has been completed.  The system is operational with the changes.  Please go to FAQ at the left side of this page for a link to BCD Permit System Version 7.2 - 3.0 Release Bulletin for a complete description of these changes.

In accordance with the Minnesota State Building Code (MSBC), permits are required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any gas, mechanical, electrical, plumbing system, fire system or other equipment, which is regulated by the MSBC.  The owner, or authorized agent, shall make application to the Building Code Division (BCD) and obtain the required permit(s) prior to beginning work.  Permits for high pressure steam work, elevators, or facilities and uses, licensed by the State of Minnesota, are issued by the Minnesota Deparmtnet of Labor and Industry.



Contact Information:
Clayton Talbot, Plans Examiner
Office - 612-626-2783; Cell - 612-210-7119

Paul Schoenecker, Plans Examiner
Office - 612-624-2903; Cell - 612-865-9451

In order to complete a permit application:

  1. Select the appropriate building or trade permit application for the type of work being performed.
  2. You will need to have a University of Minnesota project number and/or a University of Minnesota Work Order number. 
  3. You will need to know the University's Representative/Project Manager for your project.  
  4. The construction valuation (contract value) for the project.

If you do not have this information please contact your University PM or the contractor on your project.

You must first set up an account within the BCD Permit System.

Please click the BCD Permit Application System button to start set up of your account and/or start your permit application.